Thursday, April 24, 2008

When is the right time to leave a job?

I've been with my current employer for just over three years. During that time, I've learned a great deal about a different side of the hospitality industry. That knowledge is valuable and I do not regret any of my time spent here. I've also developed some new friends and valuable mentors that hopefully will be lifelong relationships and friendships.

This experience has also shown me what type of work environments that I thrive in and what types do not really work for me. I'm a good self-starter and love to be given a task and then given time and space to do the task. Micro-managers also don't quite work well for me as there are many ways to skin a cat and get a job done. My current company is a single owner small company with no HR department and not a lot of current and active SOP's. That means that the rules change every day - and heaven help you if you don't know that the rules have changed. It also means that you have to roll with the rules (and the changes) even if you don't understand them - and you better act like you do. It can make for an interesting work environment.

In small companies, there is also A LOT of favoritism. And that favoritism is not based on your production - it's based on some of the most arcane and convoluted ideas. OR, it's based on how well you kiss ass. Since I've never been good at that, know that I'm not a favorite in my company. Well, the truth is that I'm not a favorite of my vice-president as I'm seen as constantly challenging her authority. It is interesting that asking questions is seen as challenging authority instead of just trying to gain knowledge and understanding.

What I've also come to realize is that people seem to find me intimidating. Not sure why but I've heard it said a couple of times. One person that I serve on a local board of directors with says that I keep people honest. It's so interesting how the perceptions of others can help or harm a person.

So back to the original question - when is the right time to leave a job? Is it when you find yourself doing anything but your work b/c your work simply does not inspire you anymore? Is it when your boss attacks you verbally and anything you say (whether in apology or in defense of yourself) is used against you? Is the right time when your boss calls you "arrogant, rude and cocky" and tells you that you have an "attitude" when all you did was answer the phone in a professional manner but it was not deemed perky and enthusiastic enough? Is it when you have finally gotten your main money-maker accounts into a smooth rhythm and the client is very comfortable with you but your boss is making the workplace a hostile environment?

What to do..... I love helping my clients have terrific programs and enjoy working with them. But when you have to fight and claw your way within your own company to get the job done and no appreciation (monetarily or otherwise) is given for the long hours put in to get the job done and criticism given when you send a second request that was not pleasant enough for everyone, maybe it's time to think about changing one's location of employment. It's definitely food for thought.

No comments: