Friday, November 30, 2007

Random Musings on a Friday Night....

Howdy.
I am sitting in my hotel room in Miami, Florida. Was supposed to get with some friends tonight but those plans fell through so I went to a reception that some friends were having and then came up to the room to take care of some business before tomorrow's trade show. I'll be going back down to the hospitality suite at 10:30 pm to support my friends from Alabama who are hosting the suite and then I'll head to bed. Tomorrow will be an early morning.

I am attending the National Coalition of Black Meeting Planners Fall Conference being held in Miami, Florida. It's been seven years since I've been a registered attendee at NCBMP! My reason for not attending in the past is that my company did not support my membership and it was too expensive for me to pay to attend on my own. After coming back and remembering all of the great relationships and mentors that I've met along the way in this organizations (and some of my best friends in the industry are from this organization), I've come to realize that I need to support the organization and pay for my own membership if the company that I work for will not. You can't forget where you've come from and I grew up professionally and personally in this organization. No more excuses. I'll just make one of the conferences a working vacation if the company won't support it and go network and do business with my friends.

So, what else is going on? Had fun at Thanksgiving. My friend Bryan (well, we have not really put "labels" on our......relationship but.....we're dating) came up the Friday night after Thanksgiving and met the folks. He was a really good sport and helped with the Annual Christmas Trees preparation! We all (Mom, Dad, Bryan and me) had a great time and I think the folks liked him. Dad actually mentioned meeting him in his blog so that's a good sign, I suppose.

OH yes, Daddy has a blog now. And he's doing pretty good in updating it. I'll ask him if I can share his blog address so those of you who check out my blog and know my Dad can keep up with him, as well.

Work is ok. One of the sessions I sat in today talked about knowing if you want to be in the game. You have to decide if you want to be in the game or not and commit to your decision as ppl will notice if you have checked out. I noticed that I had checked out for a bit from my job but this conference has helped me put some priorities back in line and check back into the job and into life. Hmmm, I just realized that I can go work out right now since I have a couple of hours of free time as I've not worked out in a couple of days and have been eating a bit more than usual. I've made some pretty decent food choices while I've been here - however, a bit more working out will certainly not hurt in preparation for the Christmas parties, etc.

more to come.....

1 comment:

Bob Lewis said...

Hi Pookie Pook -- one never outgrows the pet names the family gives them in their youth. So your just chillin, huh? Pretty intersting stuff you wrote -- at least to those of use who know and love you. And as to the sharing thing, go for it. I welcome anyone reading and commenting on my blog. Since I'm a neophyte at this, I wonder how consistent and contributing I'll be when the newness wears off. Oh well c'est la vie! Wow! It is 7:35 a.m.! I've been playing with this laptop and blogs for over an hour and a half. Time sure goes by fast when your having fun. Take care sweety and have a good day. Oh yes -- with respect to Bryan -- I thought he was a fine gentleman. He made a great first -- did I say first, yes I did say first -- impression!
Love, Dad