Monday, August 27, 2007

Tough Day Today....

Hello. Yes, it's been a while since I've posted on the blog. I was on the road for business travel July 28 - August 16th so it was a bit crazy. My first day back at work was August 20th (needed to just sleep and breathe for a moment) so last week was spent catching up and meeting a Friday deadline.

So, how does one get over disappointment? Usually it's not so tough. As my Dad told me today "Sometimes you get the bear. And sometimes, the bear gets you." Today is definitely a day that the bear got me. I bid on a piece of business that the team (and I) worked very hard on and the presentation went very well. And I just found out through the grapevine that they chose another vendor. My contact at the organization has not told me why they chose another av company and she said that she would call me on Monday. So frustrating. My contact is also a friend and I know (well, I think) she was pulling for us; however, it was not just her decision. It was the decision of five people so who knows what the final decision boiled down to.

There are some losses that aren't so hard to handle - you just "get yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again." This one, though, hurts a bit more I guess b/c I wish my contact would have just told me up front. Not that she's not been up front with me all along - that's not it. OK, now I'm getting confused and that's my state of affairs today - just disappointment and confusion. Let's see - what's really going through my head here:
  • Worked hard
  • Enlisted 3 other team members to also work hard
  • Really thought we had a good shot and ultimately we did not
  • Thought this would be my first big client that I brought in myself and it ultimately was not
  • Went all out on the proposal and presentation so if doing my best is not good enough, then what is and am I spinning my wheels for nothing.....
  • Makes me question my abilities and salesmenship in this side of the industry....
  • I also know that I've been working pretty non-stop for the past 3 months so I am probably a little more emotional than normal.....

OK - not that I've gotten all of that out of my system, perhaps I can refocus and get to work taking care of my other existing clients as well as do the proposal for another RFP that needs to be done. We'll just give that my all, as well. They do take a lot out of you, though.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Aw, hang in there ;) Sounds like it's been tough! Sorry I haven't talked to you (or commented!) in a while...this summer just flying by! Before we know it we'll all be gathered for Christmas, he he!