Saturday, August 4, 2007

Reflections on the I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis

My condolences to those adversely affected by the bridge collapse in Minnesota this week. I was coming home from Montreal and was talking with one of my sorors when she told me of this tragedy as I had not seen the news all day. In fact, most of it was French anyway so my news quotient for the time in Montreal (Sat - Wed) was low, anyway.

In any event, the situation stunned me as I know I've traveled over the 35W bridge in my past. In a former job, I went to Minneapolis twice a year for business trips. It's quite scary to think that you could be going over a bridge and it could collapse at any moment. One of my best friends, R, has always had a fear of bridges. I cannot imagine that this did not trigger that, as well.

My brother J and his wife L have a great blog that I enjoy reading when I get the precious moments to do so. J recently put up a post from another blog called Discover God. The pastor delivers a sermon while footage of the I-35W bridge collapse and subsequent rescue efforts are being shown on a YouTube video. The message is really quite stirring and thought provoking so it seemed like an interesting idea to share it with those who read my blog. You may or may not agree with the message; however, it does prompt one to think about what God's message is to all of us in the wake of this and/or any tragedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wG0dhA_RT8

Will post more this week as it's been REALLY crazy busy. Hugs to all.

No comments: